Cameo Cinema
Cameo Cinema, Belgrave, VIC

Quick Facts

Location

Burwood Highway, Belgrave VIC

Structural Engineer:

TD & C

Owner:

Eddie Tamir

Builder:

MMD Constructions

Architect:

ITN Architects

Precast manufacture & installation:

Austral Precast

Photographer:

Aidan Halloran, Mike Scully

Featured Products

Click Here

HEAD FOR THE HILLS

In the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, within a whistle of Puffing Billy tourist railway, is the Cameo Cinema, an icon of Melbourne’s independent movie house scene. Opened in 1935, the Cameo has evolved into an eight screen multiplex.

ITN Architects was given the task of adding two new cinemas to the rear, as well as a bar and deck overlooking an outdoor cinema.

Cameo Cinema
CameoCinema

The designers chose precast concrete panels for their economy, low maintenance and excellent acoustic properties. The Cameo name is cast in large capital letters into the external panels which have a timber-like and and blast finish.

Difficult site access deterred a number of precasters. However forward planning by Austral Precast’s operations team allowed the panels to be craned in from the side and assembled over a short period.

Cameo Cinema
Cameo Cinema, Belgrave

A precast wall between the new cinemas is clad on one side with studwork and plasterboard to ensure action thrillers don’t intrude on romcoms.

Gallery

Featured Products

bbp_foliomockup_cover-v1

Register your
copy of FOLIO Today

The go to magazine for architects!

Start typing and press Enter to search